Friday, September 29, 2006

Silence is not golden

Have any you read Shel Israel's post on the exploding batteries saga and Sony's reluctance to talk?

A number of years ago I was involved in a crisis management team set up to "protect" the dodgy management practices of a bank that was imploding. I was young and naive and it was one of my first insights into the corridors of power of senior bank management so I leapt at the chance.

At first no-one "saw" what was happening except for a single, stubborn online American journalist who just wouldn't let it drop but because he was alone, the PR spinners (my bosses) decided to keep silent. He went public and in a few days the story was global and the end of the road was in sight, as at that point, the snowball had grown out of all proportion.

No comments: